What to-do this weekend? Help is here! Meet your family's new social planner..
Meet my friend Laura Nickerson who you've seen on your TV all over SoCal hosting, reporting, interviewing & entertaining (She is one of the funniest ladies I know.) Laura is the fun behind The Buzz which finds the best of what's happening in Calabasas each week. Being a fellow mommy, I asked her if she would expand her list to include the whole valley, and if she'd give us a cool hit-list of great family idea each Thursday. Here it is! Please add to the list by leaving a comment below & add what you may have heard of, or an event from your organization. We always love hearing from you. And have fun!
THE TOP 5 THINGS TO DO WITH YOUR KIDS IN THE VALLEY THIS WEEK by guest blogger Laura Nickerson, host of “The Buzz”:
Turn off your phones/tablets/televisions/googleglasses and take your kids someplace fun this weekend around the Valley! Here’s my top 5 Free or Cheap family activities to try this week:
1) Celebrate Shakespeare’s 450th Birthday with “A Noise Within” Theatre Company Thursday April 24th from 5:30-7pm at 3352 E. Foothill in Pasadena. It’s a free event where your kids can see sword fight demonstrations and take a lesson, leave an insult on the Shakespearean Insult wall, try on period costumes, and meet the Bard himself. This will make you and your kids instantly more cultured, guaranteed. Visit www.anoisewithin.org
2) All you dog lovers will go bonkers for the Canine Classic in Calabasas on Sunday April 27th 9-2:30 at the Juan Batista De Anza Park. You can bring your dogs and kids for the 2 mile Walk-a-thon, then visit dog adoptions, watch pet shows and entertainment with celebrity judges, play in the kidz zone, and check out tons of vendors. Go to canineclassic.org Make sure to leash your dogs, leashing your kids is optional.
3) As part of National Parks week the Science Festival is being held on Saturday April 26th from 10 am to 4 pm at the Paramount Ranch in Agoura Hills. It’s free and will have hands on activities for all ages, animal displays, and even the chance to chat with real scientists! www.nps.gov/samo/sciencefestival.htm has the scoop. A Scientifically Proven good time!
4) The Leonis Adobe Museum in Old Town Calabasas is having a Folk Music Festival Sunday the 27th 10:30-6:30 and your kids and you can groove out to some amazing folk bands in the old ranch setting of the museum. All proceeds benefit the Jennifer Diamond Cancer Foundation, visit www.jeniferdiamondfoundation.org
5) Last but not least head to the tropics of the LA Zoo!
The Rainforest of the Americas Exhibit is opening on April 29th and is free with paid admission to the Zoo. Your kids will get immersed in the theme...
“Everything has a Home” while they wind their way through each layer of the forest, meeting all sorts of critters on the way. Go to www.lazoo.org
I’ll be back next Thursday with more fun family activities!
You can always get more LA Kids Activities by following me on Twitter @nickerberger and checking out the hashtag #buzzLA. Also check out my show “The Buzz” at www.cityofcalabasas.com or on Channel 3. Here is this week’s episode featuring these events and more, plus some great Summer Camp ideas: http://youtu.be/V9LWvj0OO-A
Read more: http://www.kost1035.com/onair/i-heart-moms-kristins-mommy-blog-42002/what-todo-this-weekend-help-is-12287711/#ixzz30LJh0CiX
Laura Nickerson, Queen of cheap and local family activities, Momblogger of 2, Host of CTV's The Buzz and KHTS AM 1220's SCV Buzz, visit #buzzLA for daily tips.