THE TOP 5 THINGS TO DO WITH YOUR KIDS IN THE VALLEY THIS WEEKEND by Laura Nickerson
It’s summer and it’s a great time to reach out of your kid comfort zone and do something new. Here are some activities for you to try in the Valley this weekend:
(Photo by Flavijus via Flickr.com)
1) One of my favorite events of the season is started last week, the Evening Campfires at King Gillette Ranch! Happening this Tuesday the 24th at 7pm and continuing through the summer, you head to the park to roast marshmallows and sing some campfire songs. Close by, free, family fun plus all the marshmallows. Did I mention marshmallows? ‘Cause those things are fluffy heaven.
2) Your kids love playing at the beach, right? But they wouldn’t be so into it if it was filled with garbage, so help keep it clean by heading to the Beach Clean Up at Will Rodgers Beach in Malibu on Saturday the 21st from 10 to noon. Kids are welcome but anyone under 13 must be accompanied by an adult (that’s a no-brainer) and you should bring gloves and a bucket or bag. Info is at www.healthebay.org. Special Bonus? Teaching your kids to take care of their environment. I mean, don’t tell THEM that because then they won’t like it. But YOU will know.
3) When you are having your first baby you are chomping at the bit to get cute new Maternity clothes, but when you go for that second or third baby, your old clothes start to lose their appeal. Ditto for your kids clothes (leg warmers aren’t so precious the third time-for anyone). Here’s a great idea for you to try-the Maternity and Kids Clothing Swap in Pasadena. It’s on Saturday, June 21st, at Chirp Kids Karaoke & Cafe, 2302 E. Colorado Blvd, and costs $4.50 pre-paid, $6 at the door. Bring in your old gently used maternity and kids clothes, and leave with a whole new “New to You” wardrobe!
4) Back in the old days, “Partying” consisted of dancing in high heels and staying out all night thanks to the toxic mixture of Red Bull and Stoli, but now post kids you might be more excited about this party: The 3 ring Toddler Circus and Luau in Agoura Hills. Sunday 6/22 from 10 am to noon get crazy with your little ones at the Play Destination as they do the limbo, dance, and play games. Nice benefit to this kind of party? The only “tossing” you will do is the ring toss.
5) If you want a free and simple excursion, you can take your kids Birdwatching at the Malibu Lagoon State Beach. Sunday at 10 on the 22nd meet up at the shaded viewpoint. Binoculars will be provided, which on their own are hours of entertainment for anyone under the age of 7. Well, 47...
You can always get more LA Kids Activities by following me on Twitter @nickerberger and checking out the hashtag #buzzLA. Also check out my show “The Buzz” at www.cityofcalabasas.com or on Channel 3 in the West Valley. I’ll be back next week with more fun family activities!
Laura Nickerson, Queen of cheap and local family activities, Momblogger of 2, Host of CTV's The Buzz and KHTS AM 1220's SCV Buzz, visit #buzzLA for daily tips.