THE TOP 5 THINGS TO DO WITH YOUR KIDS IN THE VALLEY THIS WEEK
by Laura Nickerson, host of “The Buzz”:
(photo by Thomas Hawk via Flickr.com)
If your kids are like mine, staying indoors for “relaxing family time” on the weekends sends them into a Tasmanian Devil level of hyper overdrive, so I’m always motivated to find something cool to do that the kids can run off some of their energy. Here are my top 5 family activities for this weekend:
1) Up for a big adventure? If you are a Strawberry lover it’s totally worth it to take the drive up that pesky 101 to Oxnard for the California Strawberry Festival www.strawberry-fest.org Saturday and Sunday the 17th and 18th from 10-6:30. Every possible combination of food with strawberries will be present and accounted for, plus fun activities like a Pie Eating Contest, Strawberry Relay Race, and even Berry Hat and Berry Baby Costume Contests. Seriously, no berry is left unturned. A little insider info on the driving: the freeway can get a little crowded so make allowances (and bring snacks) for time. Also, they have a park and ride shuttle service that will save you the 10 bucks on parking. Take that and your day will go a little smoothie...I mean smoother. You’ll be jammin. Sorry about the puns, to me they are berry funny.
2) Staying with a fruity theme, how about combining some outdoor fun with a little community give back? Then teach those kiddies how to do for others by taking them to a fruit pick over the weekend and feel good knowing that the “fruits” of your labor will go directly to local agencies that serve those in need. There are several times over the weekend in different locations throughout West Hills, Granada Hills, and Northridge, so visit foodforward.org/2014/05/citrus-sunday/ for times and places, plus a chance to sign up. It’s important to show your kids-and remind yourself-how great you have it and how great it feels to put in a little time helping those who are not so lucky.
3) WorldFest 2014 is an eco-conscious, vegan-friendly, solar-powered, and family friendly festival at Woodley Park in Van Nuys on Sunday the 18th from 10:30-7:00 and bills itself as “Cochella” that you can bring the kids to. I think that’s because of the music lineup which is impressive, but it also has empowering speakers, environmental, humanitarian and animal welfare non-profits, and kids activities. So, not really Cochella-ish, but still sounds refreshing and fun and the tickets are totally reasonable. Check the website for details: www.worldfestevents.com. You will feel like a better human just for going.
4) Speaking of being a better human, there is a SUPER cool event happening at A.E. Wright Middle School in Calabasas called the Relay for Life. It’s a 24 hour continuous walk starting at 9 am on Saturday May 17th that fundraises for the American Cancer Society and it’s really breathtaking to see the tents pitched all across the football field as families, cancer survivors, and those honoring family and friends who have lost their battle with the disease. Even with it’s deeper purpose, the event is a total blast with music and fun, plus a ton of kids all camping out together while team members switch off walking the track. It’s not too late to get involved so visit www.relayforlife.org/calabasasca for info.
5) This weekend is so full of great choices, and it wouldn’t be complete without a mention of the Topanga Banjo-Fiddle Contest and Folk Festival at Paramount Ranch on Sunday, May 18th. The contest starts at 9:30 and there is a ton of fun music and dancing throughout the day. Kids will love the Wild West feel of the ranch and you will love the family fun and community spirit. Go to www.topangabanjofiddle.org for more details. Steve Martin loves the banjo, you should too!
Just as a reminder, you Mommies need to get out of the house and have some fun! So tonight head out to the M Bar at 7:30 for MOMMY TONK. Thanks to the gals at Expressing Motherhood for the heads-up!
You can always get more LA Kids Activities by following me on Twitter @nickerberger and checking out the hashtag #buzzLA. Also check out my show “The Buzz” at www.cityofcalabasas.com or on Channel 3 in the West Valley. Here’s this week’s episode with all these events and more: http://youtu.be/tSMXZfjeBdU. I’ll be back next Thursday with more fun family activities!
Laura Nickerson, Queen of cheap and local family activities, Momblogger of 2, Host of CTV's The Buzz and KHTS AM 1220's SCV Buzz, visit #buzzLA for daily tips.