THE TOP 5 THINGS TO DO WITH YOUR KIDS IN THE VALLEY THIS WEEK by Laura Nickerson, host of “The Buzz”:
The school year is coming to a close, and like it or not, summer has arrived! Hopefully you can enjoy some family fun right here at home before the craziness of camps and vacations takes over. Here are my top 5 family activities for this weekend:
(Photo by www.Futureatlas.com via Flickr.com)
1) If you gave birth to human children and not robot children (It happens! Well, according the the SyFy Channel...) then they probably love cars, fire trucks, and anything else that moves people from one place to another. In Woodland Hills at the Warner Center Park on Saturday the 31st you can satisfy your children’s fascination for vehicles and your parental fascination/obsession with safety by attending the LAPD Annual Car Show and Safety Fair. It’s free and open from 9-3 to the public. Cars, Motorcycles, a Helicopter, the Bomb Squad...it will be the most entertaining (and SAFEST) place in the Valley!
2) Who doesn’t like to wear an aluminum hat and make grunion origami? Right??? The Cabrillo Aquarium is hosting the Grunion Fish-tival on Friday the 30th at 7pm and this is the place to be if you like fishy fun. Hatch grunion eggs, touch live tide pool animals, and test your “GQ (Grunion quotient). Visit www.cabrillomarineaquarium.org for info. Wearing an aluminum hat helps you greet the grunion and shield yourself from the cosmic rays of the moon, and if that doesn’t motivate you, it also means you will get in FREE! So grab that box of Reynolds Wrap and get to work...
3) I, like many of you, hate to run. Hate it. However, I have had the experience of doing a “Family Fun Run” in the past with my oldest son and I have to say, running with your kids is way more fun than you would expect. Here’s a great way to give it a go while having a totally, like, LA experience. Register for the Run to the Hollywood Sign on June 1st and support the Hollywood Wilshire YMCA. The family fun walk/run isn’t too expensive and will be a great chance to get outdoors and do something memorable with your kids. The website www.hollywoodsignrun.org has info. And yes, you serious runner types with the headbands and shiny tight pants, there are longer courses too, if you’re into that kind of stuff. I’ll be on the sidelines with a Fudgesicle cheering you on.
4) A family that plays together will have no choice but to attend the Great Big Family Play Day on Sunday, June 1st, at the Pan-Pacific Park by the Grove. “Play” is right there in the title! Music, interactive family activities, and art experience by the Zimmer Museum, and so much more including The Great Big Raffle will be going on starting at 11 am and the tickets are totally affordable. You might want to get them online, however, as they expect to sell out. Visit www.greatbigfamilyplayday.com for info.
5) Once upon a time there were little mean weeds that were attacking the sweet little sunflowers and they were very frightened. But soon a bunch of volunteers..ahem..”Lady and Lords in Waiting” went to rescue them with the kingdom of the “Mountains Restoration Trust” and magical “Tree People”. Saturday the 31st from 8:30-12:15 at the Peter Strauss Ranch you can help these noble folk pull weeds in a secret area. Call 818 591 1701 Ext 0 to RSVP. And in the end, the mean weeds will be beaten and the cute sunflowers will live happily ever after. I do think I get extra points on this blog for not making any kind of joke about “Mean Weed”.
You can always get more LA Kids Activities by following me on Twitter @nickerberger and checking out the hashtag #buzzLA. Also check out my show “The Buzz” at www.cityofcalabasas.com or on Channel 3 in the West Valley. Here’s this week’s episode with all these events and more: http://youtu.be/XWAXyfJH5AU. I’ll be back next Thursday with more fun family activities!
Laura Nickerson, Queen of cheap and local family activities, Momblogger of 2, Host of CTV's The Buzz and KHTS AM 1220's SCV Buzz, visit #buzzLA for daily tips.