THE TOP 5 THINGS TO DO WITH YOUR KIDS IN THE VALLEY THIS WEEK by Laura Nickerson
Happy Father’s Day! The best events to celebrate Dad generally fall into one of two categories; fun time together as a family or fun time away from the kids in which Dad gets to sleep or do whatever he wants for a change. Either way here are some activities for you to try in the Valley this weekend:
(photo by Julian Povey via Flickr.com)
1) If Dad is up for some family bonding, there are a ton of cool Father’s Day Events going on. Let him be the King of the Rails at the Fillmore & Western Railway with a scenic ride and BBQ lunch, encourage him to find his inner Bruce Lee at a family Kung Fu Class in Burbank, or go back in time at the Cowboys and Cowgirls Movie night at the Paramount Ranch. Or you take the kids to these things and give him some quiet time at home. Either way you will be giving a great gift!
2) If your kids go nuts for trucks and other things that move people around, then you should take them to the free “Touch a Truck” event this weekend! Saturday June 14th from 10am to 2pm head over to the Thousand Oaks Community Center and let your kids climb, play, and explore all types of trucks, cars, and construction vehicles at this free event. Visit crpd.org for info. Won’t it be great to let your kids explore other people’s vehicles without having to say “Don’t touch that”?
3) Feeling old? The best way to feel younger is to surround yourself with things that are EVEN OLDER! Take the family to History Day at Strathearn Park in Simi Valley on Saturday, June 14th. So many fun things to see and play with including antique cars, farm engines, tractors, horseshoeing demonstrations, photo ops, and entertainment. It’s only $7 per person and you will feel positively youthful by the time you leave.
4) With that wacky drought and upcoming summer temperatures you might want to think about changing your garden to something that uses less water. So go to the Drought Tolerant Festival at the Sepulveda Garden Center in Encino with the kids and learn while you are having fun. There are singers, speakers, displays, and more on Saturday and Sunday the 14th & 15th from 9-4, with additional kids activities starting at 10:30 on Sunday.
5) Feeling lazy today? Sometimes the most fun activities are just hanging around the house with your kids doing something simple. An idea: take used pieces of paper, crumple them up, and use tape to fashion a ball. Try to keep it in the air from person to person by whacking it with your hand. Good news, if it gets loose in the house odds are low of breaking something. But don’t quote me on that...
You can always get more LA Kids Activities by following me on Twitter @nickerberger and checking out the hashtag #buzzLA. Also check out my show “The Buzz” at www.cityofcalabasas.com or on Channel 3 in the West Valley. Here’s this week’s episode with all these events and more: http://youtu.be/rjApmycEMNU I’ll be back next Thursday with more fun family activities!
Laura Nickerson, Queen of cheap and local family activities, Momblogger of 2, Host of CTV's The Buzz and KHTS AM 1220's SCV Buzz, visit #buzzLA for daily tips.