THE TOP 5 THINGS TO DO WITH YOUR KIDS IN THE VALLEY THIS WEEK by Laura Nickerson
(photo by Jim via Flickr.com)
For most of you Valley families, school is out for the summer this week. After that first few days of sleeping in and doing nothing you are going to start hearing the most dreaded phrase in parenting besides “I’m quitting college to play in my friend’s band”, which is...”I’m BORED”.
I can help prepare you for this. The “I’m bored” question, not the future rock star/living with you until they are 30 one. Here are my top 5 family activities for this weekend in the Valley:
1) There’s a fun way to get exercise and culture this weekend, the Conejo Valley Art Museum’s ArtWalk 2014. Saturday and Sunday, June 7th & 8th, visit the festival at the Bank of America Building in Thousand Oaks for the live music, food, and artwork from artists all over the state. Visit www.cvam.us for the info on this free festival. Go, because the only other way to exercise and get culture at the same time is to put your treadmill in front of a TV playing Downton Abbey, and you could drop your ice cream doing that!!!
2) Do you ever go through your smartphone pictures to find your kids have secretly taken a zillion shots of the wall, the floor, or your butt? Here’s a fun way to teach them how to shoot something more viewable: join up at the King Gillette Ranch on Saturday the 7th at 3pm for Capture a Nature Moment, a walk that will give coaching on how to photograph nature. Bring your own cameras, and teach your kids how to use it for good, and not for evil.
3) Do you know any of the constellations besides the Big and Little Dippers? And be honest, can you tell the difference between the two? You might need a little help. Saturday, June 7th, head to the Griffith Observatory Public Star Party from 2-9:45 pm and the whole family can try out a variety of telescopes and talk to volunteer astronomers about what you see. It’s free, fun, and will clear up the whole Dipper Debate.
4) Do you like to “Shoop a Doo” like the Temptations, “Hey” like James Brown, or “HOO HOO” like Stevie Wonder? You are in luck because the Summer Sun Sets Concert Series at the Calabasas Lake is kicking off it’s summer season with a performance by Stone Soul-the best of Classic Soul & Motown. This free concert is on Sunday the 8th at 6pm. Make sure to bring your own chairs, blankets, picnic, and groove.
5) I went hiking with my considerably cooler than me sister-in-law and her kids. She had the most amazing way of keeping the kids moving in the forward direction with minimal whining, so I have to share. She grabbed a brown lunch bag for each child and put a checklist on the front with a marker of things easy to find on the hike: a feather, yellow leaf, round stone, etc... and had them gather the items while we walked. So simple, yet genius. We actually went for more then 20 minutes without a whine!
You can always get more LA Kids Activities by following me on Twitter @nickerberger and checking out the hashtag #buzzLA. Also check out my show “The Buzz” at www.cityofcalabasas.com or on Channel 3 in the West Valley. Here’s this week’s episode with all these events and more: http://youtu.be/KLCo2QUkh9k.
I’ll be back next Thursday with more fun family activities!
Laura Nickerson, Queen of cheap and local family activities, Momblogger of 2, Host of CTV's The Buzz and KHTS AM 1220's SCV Buzz, visit #buzzLA for daily tips.