THE TOP 5 FAMILY ACTIVITIES THIS WEEKEND by Laura Nickerson
It’s hot. And the World Cup is still going on (how long, exactly, is that thing going to last? I think it started approximately 20 years ago). But neither of these excuses should keep your family inside and parked on the couch.
Here are some fun activities for you and your family to try this weekend:
1) The Lotus Festival is BACK after few years off for renovations, and is a great choice for families that want to get out and try something unique. The festival celebrates Asian-Pacific culture at Echo Park Lake with Dragon Boat races, Asian themed music and dance shows, all of which are centered around the remodeled Echo Park Lake’s blooming lotus bed. It’s on July 12th from noon-9 and the 13th from noon-8. Visit http://www.musicforautism.org/downloads/poster-2014-07-13-ca.pdf for info. It’s a bit of a drive, but at least your car has air conditioning...
2) If you want to experience a great location and some great Queen music, take the family to the Summer Sun Sets Concert “Queen Nation”. At 6pm on Sunday, July 13th, head to the Calabasas Lake for this amazing tribute band. Admission is free, so bring your picnic, chairs, and anyone in your life that loves great Queen music. Visit www.cityofcalabasas.com for details. Warm up your voice for the singing along, and your neck to do your Bohemian Rhapsody/Wayne’s World homage.
3) A simple yet interesting thing to try is heading to the King Gillette Ranch for their 1 mile “Walk into the Chumash World”. It’s at 3pm on Saturday, July 12th, and will give you and your kids a fascinating insight into the way the Chumash Indians used the natural resources of their environment for thousands of years. Meet at the parking lot to the left of the pond. Info is at http://www.lamountains.com/pdf/KGRSummer2014.pdf. It’s free, short, and eco-friendly.
4) There’s a great program at the Leonis Adobe over the summer: the LIL Ranchers Club. It starts on July 8th and runs Tuesdays from 9:30-11:30am through the summer. Let your “LIL” ones learn to cook, feed animals, and learn about life on the historic ranch a for only $4. Visit leonisadobemuseum.org for info. They won’t complain about doing modern day chores again!
5) Music for Autism is presenting a free Interactive Concert for individuals with Autism and their families. Sunday, July 13th, at 1pm they will present classic Disney hits performed by seasoned stage performers at the The Help Group Autism Center Theater in Sherman Oaks. It’s completely free, but RSVPs are essential at musicforautism.org or by calling 877.863.7473 x1 Here's the flyer: http://www.musicforautism.org/downloads/poster-2014-07-13-ca.pdf.
You can always get more LA Kids Activities by following me on Twitter @nickerberger and checking out the hashtag #buzzLA. Also check out my show “The Buzz” at www.cityofcalabasas.com or on Channel 3 in the West Valley. I’ll be back next week with more fun family activities!
Laura Nickerson, Queen of cheap and local family activities, Momblogger of 2, Host of CTV's The Buzz and KHTS AM 1220's SCV Buzz, visit #buzzLA for daily tips.